Excessive use of drug affects the users multiple brain activities including those that are responsible for learning, memory, motivation, focus, and cognitive control. Compulsive seeking of drug can at times lead to devastating consequences.
The path of taking drug begins voluntarily, which overtime dominates the user’s ability to control and this habit turns compulsive. This condition has disrupted many aspects of the victim’s life and treatment is complicated.
Each rehab has treatment programs that include many components, which helps victims to stay away from drug, maintain drug-free lifestyle as well as start living a normal life. Drug addiction cannot be eradicated in a few days, but majority of patients need repeated episodes to attain the final goal of constant self-restraint and return to their basic lifestyles.
Basics of Effective Drug Treatment Programs
- Addiction is treatable brain disease
- One single treatment is not appropriate for all victims
- Treatment has to be available willingly
- The program must incorporate the individual’s multiple needs not just the drug abuse aspect
- It is vital to remain in treatment for sufficient period
- Medications are vital for majority of patients
- Individual and group counseling along with other behavioral therapy are commonly used in drug abuse treatment
- Detoxification is just the first phase of drug addiction treatment
- Every victim’s treatment plan must be evaluated constantly and modified in accordance, to their changing needs.
- Use of drug, during treatment has to be monitored constantly because lapses do occur in this healing process.
- Many drug victims can have mental disorders
Treatment program must also evaluate the victim for infectious diseases like HIV or AIDs, TB or hepatitis B & C. Even provide counseling to modify their behavior, which otherwise can turn out to be risky of spreading or contracting infectious diseases.
Helpful Treatment Approaches
The therapeutic procedure at the drug rehab centers start with detoxification, treatment, and prevention of relapse. In initial stages, easing withdrawal symptoms is vital to prevent relapse. A customized treatment regimen is used to address all aspects of the victim’s life including mental and medical services.
- Medications – Medications help the victim in suppressing withdrawal symptoms, at some stage during medically assisted detoxification process. Medicines are also used to re-establish the affected brain functions, diminish craving and prevent relapse.
- Behavioral treatments – The patients are engaged in modifying their behavior and attitude related to drug usage as well as adapts healthy life skills. In residential treatment programs, the victim has to reside in the rehab centre for basically 6 to 12 months.
Behavioral treatment for outpatients encompasses variety of programs. The patient has to visit the clinic and involves group/individual drug counseling. Behavioral approach includes cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, motivational incentives, and multi-dimensional family therapy.
Significance of family and friends
Friends and family play vital role in motivating their loved ones to enter a rehab centre and take treatment. Especially where adolescents are involved, family therapy is vital. Involvement of family member/s or someone significant in the victim’s treatment program helps to strengthen and escalate the benefits of treatment.
Matthew Nisbett has written many articles explaining why drug rehab centers are the only solutions for the victims of drug addiction or alcoholism, in order to achieve the uphill task towards sobriety. For any kind of help with addiction treatment in Ontario, please visit their website today.